4 hours...

I spent the afternoon with the little love yesterday...It shocked some people that
I could or would want to spend that much time watching him...but it felt right...it felt natural...it felt normal. My little love gave me many loving moments...a few tears...but a great deal of insight for someone who is only 6 years old...
When he came into the house he saw a baseball hat that belonged to Michael...Is that Papa's hat? he asked...Yes, I said...Can I have that?...Of course I said...We adjusted the back to the smallest possible level and placed it on his head...a grin went from ear to ear...It fits he said...And I said Yes...Yes it does!...Later in the day he was playing with some cars and one went under the stove...we pulled out Papa's big flash light and the yard stick and got it out from there...but the flash light brought him a memory of how they would play "monster hunting" and he wanted to do that...Off went all the lights in the basement and we crept down the stairs...and he said...Oh Moma we need the hard hats (plastic hats with miners lights on them which Michael had bought for the two of them)...He dug them out of the toy box and placed the first one one his head...to big, that was Papa's...got out the second one and was smiling as he turned on the light to discover it worked...He looked at Papa's hat, and placed it back in the box...took off his hat...and looked at me as I wiped a tear and said...You know, lets go back up stairs Moma and play something else! Driving in the car, he was telling me how many grandparents he had...(coming from an extended family) he named them all...well, that was except me...So I said, well, I am your grandparent too...and he said...No you aren't...you are my MOMA!
As the day went on there were many wonderful memories of things we did together...and things he did with Papa...and then he said...Moma, where is Papa's chair?...(this took him all day) I said...Papa took it with him..He thought about it for a moment and said...that's good, because you really can't stand very long...I think Papa is sitting in his chair with Hensley (a cat that passed when he was 3 years old)and he is watching football on TV...He is watching the Cleveland Brown's (he was a life long fan)and he went over and placed the baseball hat on his head...the one he got the first thing in the morning...because it was a Cleveland Brown logo hat...and we sat on the sofa....snuggling....
It was a beautiful afternoon...
I am not sure what today will bring...but I am hoping...a little memory...a little bit of tears...and a lot of love...
BE WELL

2 comments:

Joani said...

God speaking through the mouthes of babes. How appropriate for a time like this. I wish you much happiness with this young man in your life. Happy Easter.
Love & hugs.

Merry ME said...

I love the innocence and honesty of children. And how they can move on much easier than grown ups. Not that he won't always remember, but you little Love seems to know that there is a time for mourning and a time for joy. As Joani says, God speak.

It's good that others are concerned about you. Even better that you listen to your own heart and follow where it leads.

I hope the joys of Springtime and the message of Easter will brighten your days. But it's good to know you have Michael's flashlight for the dark times.